FREE Consultation

Child Support Lawyer

Most of us would agree that children are the biggest joy of our life. They are also our biggest responsibility. Once parties divorce, the non-custodial parent will be required to pay child support. The law does not allow for much deviation of this obligation. Child support is based on a formula set forth in the Family Code with statutorily mandated deductions in income but is generally:

20% of your net income for one child,

25% of your net income for two children,

30% of your net income for three children,

35% of your net income for four children,

40% of your net income for five children.

If you have reason to believe that an ex-spouse’s income has increased since the Court last ordered child support, you can seek to have your child support payments increased. In addition, if your child support is not being paid, you can seek to enforce the Court order which authorized the child support. On the other hand, there may be circumstances which might justify the lowering of a child support award, however, courts will not lower awards if the Court determines that the obligor is underemployed. If you need a lawyer to pursue a child support modification or enforcement action for you, or defend against one, the Law Offices of Sue Berkel can assist you. Call 512 689-8733 for a free consultation or email us at